Wednesday 6 April 2016

Editing First Draft - 2 - mugshots and records

When I went on to my next scene, I decided I wanted to show that the three protagonists were being hunted by governmental forces. I used the scene that Harry and Robert had shot of a hand circling each characters name on their criminal records in red pen. I then wanted their mugshots to suddenly appear on screen after this. The first character to be shown was Damon, who would then be followed by Sid and Jared in later scenes. I then discovered that I was able to layer a scene over another scene, and when I turned the opacity of the top layer down the other scene was visible underneath. I applied this to Damon's  mugshot and made it appear over the top of his criminal record.
I then realised that Robert had zoomed in on the criminal record at the end of each of these scenes, so I cut out the zoom and had the scene cut from being a close up of the hand circling the paper straight to an extreme close up of the circled name. I then placed the mugshot over the extreme close up so that it would flash up as soon as the scene cut to the circled name. I also slowed this scene down to 1% and shortened it to its original length, this was so as to avoid being able to see any camera movements so it appeared as a still image of the circled name rather than video footage.
I also finished this scene with the record fading out leaving the mugshot on it's own for a split second, then fading to black. This gives the audience a clear picture of what each protagonist looks like.


To finish of this scene, I filtered the mugshot with a 'prism' and 'projector' effect to give it some movement and distortion, maintaining the pace of the rest of the sequence. I also added a tint to the circling scene to make the scene look darker and evil. I saved both of these filters as pre-sets for this scene so I could revisit them and easily add them when editing scenes similar to this, i.e. Sid, Jared, and Anna records and mugshots


I later repeated this process when editing together the mugshot and record scenes of Sid and Jared. However, Anna's scene was slightly different. I will explain this in a later post.






No comments:

Post a Comment